Intensive English Program & TOEFL Preparation
Official TOEFL or IELTS score reports are required of any non-native English speaker applying to grades 11 and 12 or the Post-Graduate Program.
Upon arrival, all non-native speakers, applying to middle and high-school, who have not submitted TOEFL or IELTS score reports, will be required to take an English proficiency exam as part of the academic assessment. Based on these scores, students maybe placed into the non-credit Intensive English Program.
Final placement decisions are made by considering not only a student’s test scores, but also his/her academic background/habits, level of maturity, and oral proficiency.
The Intensive English Program (IEP) is a full-time academic program designed for full-time IMG Academy students who wish to spend 1 or 2 semesters improving their English before transitioning to an American middle- or high school, or participants who wish to prepare for university English including TOEFL preparation. (no link here)
Students take 4 hours of English per day either in the morning or in the afternoon according to their sport schedule.
Classes introduce and practice all skill areas including grammar, reading, listening, speaking, and vocabulary development.
Our IEP requires an F-1 student visa or other eligible non-immigrant visas. IMG Academy is authorized by SEVP to issue I-20 forms for student visa F-1.
This class emphasizes grammar and its integration into speaking, listening, reading, and writing that contribute to successful communication. Language skills are quickly developed through dynamic and communicative projects.
Reading and Writing
Students read and discuss high-interest texts on current topics and use the vocabulary and structures they learn to help develop their written communication skills in a variety of situations. Students expand vocabulary through reading and writing activities.
Speaking and Listening
Students develop listening strategies, practice conversational skills and improve pronunciation, fluency and accuracy. Activities and assignments are designed to improve spoken English and listening, and the understanding of and use of idiomatic expressions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can enroll?
- Students who need additional English study before enrolling into IMG Academy Elementary, Middle, or High School
- International students who have obtained their high-school diploma in their home countries and who wish to improve their English before applying to American universities
- Adult learners of English who wish to accompany their children to the IMG Academy
- Community members and non-traditional learners
Do I need a student visa?
- Most of the time, but not always. This program is considered full-time study by the US Government and you will either need to obtain a student (F-1) visa or check the status of your current visa. Certain categories of visa holders are eligible to enroll, as well as certain dependents (spouse or children) of visa holders.
What are your measurements of sufficiency? Will I receive academic credit?
- All students are tested at the beginning and end of each semester. They also receive mid-semester and final grades. Students must maintain a minimum grade point average to progress to the next level. At the end of each level, students receive a final report and a certificate of completion. Academic credit is not given.
Can I transition into IMG Academy?
- IMG Academy sports participants who wish to improve their English by enrolling into the Intensive English Program are then eligible to transition into the IMG Academy once their English reaches sufficiency level.
Can I complete TOEFL test preparation?
- Students in Levels 4 & 5 concentrate on academic English and TOEFL preparation. Additional independent TOEFL prep training is available.