Academic English Program & TOEFL Preparation
English for Academic Purposes (EAP) is a part-time academic program designed for IMG athletes who wish to spend 1 or 2 semesters improving their English while training in their program. Depending on their progress, many of these athletes might transition to a middle- or high school, or college or university in an English-speaking country. TOEFL preparation is available for the more advanced, as IMG Academy is an official TOEFL test site.
Athletes take 3 hours of English per day, either in the morning or in the afternoon, according to their sport schedule.
Classes introduce and practice all skill areas including grammar, reading, listening, speaking, and vocabulary development.
This class emphasizes grammar and its integration into speaking, listening, reading and writing that contribute to successful communication. Language skills are quickly developed through dynamic and communicative projects.
Reading and Writing
Students read and discuss high-interest texts on current topics and use the vocabulary and structures they learn to help develop their written communication skills in a variety of situations. Students expand vocabulary through reading and writing activities.
Speaking and Listening
Students develop listening strategies, practice conversational skills and improve pronunciation, fluency and accuracy. Activities and assignments are designed to improve spoken English and listening, and the understanding of and use of idiomatic expressions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can enroll?
- Students who need additional English study before enrolling into a middle-or high school in an English-speaking country.
- Non-native English speakers who have obtained their high-school diploma in a non-English environment and who wish to improve their English before applying to an American college or university.
- Community members and non-traditional learners
Do I need a student visa?
- No. This program is considered part-time study by the US Government and you will either need to enter the country via ESTA, tourist visa, or other appropriate visa that allows incidental study.
What are your measurements of sufficiency? Will I receive academic credit?
- All students are tested at the beginning and end of each semester. They also receive mid-semester and final grades. Students must maintain a minimum grade point average to progress to the next level. At the end of each level, students receive a final report and a certificate of completion. Academic credit is not given.
Can I transition into IMG Academy?
- Participants may apply for admission to IMG Academy once their English proficiency reaches adequate level, as defined by IMG Admissions.
Can I complete TOEFL test preparation?
- Students in Levels 4 & 5 concentrate on TOEFL preparation, though additional independent TOEFL prep training is available.